1. Today is my 28th birthday. Yay!
2. For many of my birthdays, my mom would make me my favorite cake: simple yellow cake with chocolate icing, and the best part was eating it for breakfast.
3. Usually I'm pretty excited about my birthday, but this year was different. I'm looking forward to my 28th year, but as far as actually celebrating my birthday I didn't want to do anything except one thing...
4. I want to meet my dad.
5. My favorite foods are cheeseburgers, pizza, tacos & French fries. And not the fast food kind, but the homemade, gourmet, authentic, deliciousness that comes from fresh meat, fresh bread, fresh ingredients, hot grills & brick ovens.
6. I've actually gotten used to the Florida weather and traffic quicker than I thought I would since my husband John & I moved here in January 2018. I even enjoy going outside for walks and some light running (very light).
7. We get so much rich, nourishing and life changing Biblical word and truth at Deeper Fellowship Church. All of our Pastors and leadership are just dripping with the love and knowledge of God, wisdom through His Holy Spirit and feed us well so that we can grow spiritually. I've learned so much in the past couple of months that we've been members.
8. Also, my pastor William McDowell recently released a powerful book titled, It's Happening, that tells about the spiritual revival that is taking place in our church, in our city, region and nation. Since May of 2016 Deeper Fellowship Church has been in a move of God where we've witnessed over 200 miraculous physical, emotional and spiritual healings. We believe that if it's happening anywhere, it can happen everywhere! So check out his book, It's Happening!
9. Oh, I also have a book out about spiritual revival! Please Send More Rain is my 1st self-published book of poetry that I released in December 2017. It's hard to believe that after years of writing poetry in the privacy of my own notebooks or for school projects that I have a book that contains personal revelations from my relationship with the Lord and opens my heart to the world. It's still kinda scary.
10. I've been journaling, writing poetry and short stories since I was 10 years old. Writing is a part of me, an extension of who God created me to be. I'm very grateful for the impact writing has had in my life and I hope to share my writing with you. Thanks for being here, thanks for reading what I have to say.
11. Fun fact: I had an elephant at one of my birthdays. My mother lovingly persuaded me to get on it, despite my terrifying fear of heights at that time, so she could capture an image that would last a lifetime. I still have those photos and the image of me crying will forever be etched in my memory (and possibly yours as well).
12. Where in the world was I able to have an elephant at my birthday party you ask? Well, I had the opportunity to live in Ethiopia for 4.5 years and India for 3 years (where the elephant birthday took place) before spending the remainder of my childhood in Columbia, Maryland.
13. I absolutely loved my childhood and I'm so grateful for the experiences that I've had including traveling all over the world before the age of 9. I love traveling and I'm looking forward to doing more of it with John. So far, other than places in the U.S. together we've had the chance to travel to Belize, Jamaica, and Iceland!
14. The Lord gave me "Write Light" on October 8, 2016. Since then, it has taken on a couple forms, it has changed and grown and I'm excited for what God has in store for this blog and whatever shape it takes as time goes on.
15. It's a little challenging coming up with 28 random things to write about, but we're almost there so bear with me. I promise, none of my future posts will be like this one (probably not, but I kinda like this type of sharing).
16. To this day I still watch A Different World (#1 favorite show of all time), Moesha, Sister Sister, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air and other late 80's - early 2000's black sitcoms and I still laugh (and cry) as if it was my first time watching the show. I don't know what it is, but these shows warm my heart and make me feel good.
17. I would have loved to be on any one of the casts mentioned above. I imagine filming these shows was super fun.
18. Here are some of my favorite & recommended reads: The Well by Stephanie Landsem, The Shack by William Paul Young, A Million Little Ways & Simply Tuesday by Emily P. Freeman, Roots & Sky by Christie Purifoy, You and Me Forever: Marriage in Light of Eternity & Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God by Francis Chan, Carriers of the Glory: Becoming a Friend of the Holy Spirit by David Diga Hernandez, and the Divergent Series by Veronica Roth. I have more, but this will do for now.
19. I've always wanted to be in a book club! I even had one for a couple months, but my problem is I want to choose all of the books, lol. Kinda like Oprah's Book Club. I imagine she chooses all of the books for that, but it would be Raine's Book Club. That sounds so bad lol *covers face for even admitting that desire.*
20. Along with writing and reading books, I also thoroughly enjoy watching movies. And just like my favorite TV shows, I can watch movies over and over and over again with no problem at all. I would say that my current top 3 favorite movies are Divergent, Creed and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (all of which I will probably watch... today).
21. I absolutely love postcards. I've been collecting them since I was in elementary school. I don't know what it is about them, but I love getting them when I travel somewhere new and also receiving them from others who have travelled. If you'd like to send me one from your next trip I would definitely be so happy about that!
22. I have 2 dream vacations: I would love to stay in a villa for a month in Italy, being able to traverse the countryside and visit other European countries as well. I also want to go on a month-long trip visiting Hawaii, the South Pacific Islands, making my way to Australia and Southeast Asia. If I start a GoFundMe, would you support? Ha ha.
23. My One Word for 2018 is BRAVE.
24. I hope to say that I'm getting braver and braver everyday as I continue to trust in God, knowing that He is always with me (Deuteronomy 31:6; Joshua 1:9; Isaiah 41:10; Matthew 28:20; Romans 8:38-39).
25. I think I've shared a good amount about myself (stick around and you'll learn some more), but I would love to hear from you and about you. I don't have a mailing list set up yet, but if you go to my Contact Page, you can fill out the information there and we can connect. Or you can leave a comment on this post below and I'll be sure to get back to you!
26. We're almost done. See, it wasn't that bad.
27. Psalm 27 (the whole Chapter) is one of my favorites.
28. Well, we've reached the end of these 28 things about Raine type of experience. I'm excited to journey with you here on Write Light as I learn to let go and write about what the Lord has placed on my heart. I pray that this blog illuminates the love and light of Jesus Christ and allows His grace and glory to shine through this space. My goal is to post twice a week, so you can save this website as a favorite on your bookmarks tab and check back in whenever you feel like reading something encouraging. Thanks again for being here, it means the world to me!
Grace & Peace,
The Birthday Girl